Lewisburg was founded in 1785, and for sixty-three years thereafter her dead were buried in grave-yards on Market, Third and Fifth Streets. In June 1848, the original site of the Cemetery was purchased of John Chamberlin. The Association was incorporated on April 10, 1848. On September 21, 1898 a Charter was approved.  At that time the whole number of plots sold was 1065, divided among 945 plot-owners. These plots form what is now known as “Section 1”.  The graveyards in downtown Lewisburg were closed and the interred were transferred to the new cemetery. Additional plots were laid out in 1905 (Section 2), 1922 (Section 3), 1946 (Section 4), and 19xy-20xy (Sections 4b, 4c, and 4d).

The 1898 Charter, which is still in effect, provides for the receipt and care by the Association, of donations by will or otherwise for the purpose of ornamenting or improving the Cemetery. Such donations are of increasing need to maintain this historic cemetery.

Selected Noted Interred aslisted in 1989: Col. John Kelly, Col. John Chamberlin, Col. Henry Spyker and Captain John Brady of Revolutionary fame, Gen. Abbot Green, Col. James  Cameron, Col. Eli Slifer, William Cameron, Esq., Hon. George F. Miller, Hon. Andrew H. Dill, Hon. Charles S. Wolfe, William Ludwig, M. D., Hon. John Walls, Rev. A. K. Bell, D. D., Rev. George R. Bliss, D. D., Rev. Francis W. Tustin, Ph. D., Samuel Wolfe, Thomas Beaver, James Aiken, Willi am Wilson, Peter Nevius, Jonathan Wolfe, Col. James McFaddin, William VanGezer, Esq., J. Merrill Linn, Esq., Philip Billmeyer, William C. Duncan, William David Himmel­ reich, Justin Rolph Loomis, LL. D.

OFFICERS, CORPORATORS AND MANAGERS

1848 TO 1898.

PRESIDENTS
GEORGE F. MILLER, 1848-1885
THOMAS BEAVER, 1886-1891
J. THOMPSON BAKER, 1892-

SECRETERIES
WILLIAM WILSON, 1848-1858
THOMAS HAVES. 185871862
GEORGE R. BLISS, 1862-1872
D. BRIGHT MILLER, 1872-1897
ABRAHAM W. BROWN, 1897-

TREASURERS
THOMAS HAYES, 1848-1862
SOLOMON RITTER, 1862-1880
D. BHIGHT MILI.ER 1881-1897
WILLIAM JONES, 1897-

CORPORATORS

Thomas Hayes, 1848-1863  Dr. Williarn Hayes, 1848-1854
George F. Miller, Pres 1848-1885 Levi Sterner, 1848-1854
Samuel Wolfe, 1848-1851 Hugh P. Sheller, 1848-1854
James P. Ross, 1848-1859 William Wilson. 1848-1854
James Moore, Jr., 1848-1854 Stephen S. Lyndall, 1848-1854
Solomon Ritter, 1848-1880 Peter Nevius, 1848-1854
Levi B. Christ, 1848-1854 Flavel Clingan, 1848-1854
John Chamberlain, 1848-1858 John Gundy, 1848-1872
Henry No11, 1848-1854 Jacob Gundy, 1848-1854

MANAGERS


Charles Penny, 1854-1858
Charles S. Wolfe, 1888-1892
John WalIs, 1858-1892 Alfred Hayes, 1892-1897
Wm. Cameron, IS58-1872, 1874-1878 Thompson G. Evans, 1892-1897
Joseph M. Nesbit, .1858-1892 Peter Voneida, 1892-1895
Eli Slifer, 1S58-1880 Ellis F. Gundy, 1892-1895
George R. Bliss, 1872-1874 William Wertz, 1892-1897
William C. Duncan, 1872-1886 Benjamin S. Bieber, 1895-1897
J. Merrill Linn, 1872-l886 William Jones, 1897-
D. Bright Miller, 1881-1897 Jesse Cornelius, 1897-
J. T'hompson Baker, 1886-1892 Abraham W. Brown, 1897-
Thomas Beaver, l888-1892 Thomas C. Thornton. 1897-
J. P. Brooke, 1886-1897 C. F. Lindig, 1897-
Henry Gerhart, 1886-1892 John K. Kremer, 1897-
Johnson W. Van.Valzah, 1897-  

Home